It's not a secret that I have a "thing" for granola bars. Ever since I made my first batch of Super Awesome Granola Bars, I have been hooked! It's the perfect afternoon snack with a cup of tea and is even better when you need to grab something simple for the road.
I prefer my granola bars to be nice and chewy, something that won't fall apart when you bite into it. For this recipe I decreased the amount of sugar by half and it was still plenty sweet enough and still chewy. I also decided to use dark chocolate (and not much of it) because it compliments the sweetness of the honey and molasses. This snack is definitely one that your child won't mind having packed in their lunchbox!
CHEWY HONEY OAT BARS
A delicious chewy granola bar, perfect for snacking on morning, noon, or night.
dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, nut-free, wheat-free, gluten-free, corn-free
EBL Food Allergies
6 cups of gluten-free oats
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup molasses
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 cups gluten-free crispy rice cereal
1 scoop of protein powder
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup cranberries
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix oats, oil, and salt. Empty contents onto 2 foil lined cookie sheets and bake for 20 minutes.
- In a small saucepan add sugar, honey, agave nectar, and molasses over medium heat, stirring frequently, until bubbles form. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Empty the oat mix, the honey mix, and the remaining ingredients (except for the chocolate) into the same large bowl and stir until even coated.
- Lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Press the mixture into a deep cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the dark chocolate on top of the mixture and press into the granola bars (I use another sheet of parchment paper and press down firmly to compact the mixture)
- Cook for 15-20 minutes. Allow the granola bars to cool completely before cutting.
Are you looking for an allergy-friendly chocolate to use in your baking? I used Enjoy Life Foods dark chocolate morsels for this recipe. Their products are gluten-free and free of the top 8 allergens: dairy, soy, egg, peanut, tree nut, wheat, fish, and shellfish.
Click here for a 55 cent coupon off Enjoy Life Foods product AND enter the give-away below for your chance to WIN one free bag of their Dark Chocolate Morsels.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
EBL Food Allergies